Sunday, December 06, 2009

Living life with no regrets

My sister is currently being treated for breast cancer. She was diagnosed this past August. My mother was just told this week that the results of her mammogram indicate there was something suspicious in one of her lymph nodes. She will need to have a biopsy. Hopefully, prayerfully, this is NOT cancer. But it certainly gets you thinking....

Life is short, shockingly short sometimes.

With the life God is giving me, am I LIVING for Him, or just living? Am I playing it safe? Or am I taking hold of the opportunities He puts before me. I know there are many times that I miss the opportunities, that I just maybe ignore them because they seem difficult, inconvenient, possibly even a little ridiculous. I also know there have been times that we have grasped those opportunities, even the questionably "crazy" ones, and once we got a hold of them, we ARE richly blessed. So why don't we take a hold of those opportunities EVERY time??? It is that struggle again, my plans, my timing, my life. And God's plans, His timing. It is always inconvenient, always costly, always something I just don't initially want to do. But every time, it is also BLESSED. I hope I can remember that.

I so want to live a life that pleases God and a life that is full of good fruit, not regrets. So I was walking the dog yesterday. Seriously, if you don't have a dog, get one --- and walk it, it gives you a chunk of time to commune with God, to sometimes argue, to question, but to ultimately throw your concerns at Him, and let...them...go. Anyways, during the walk, I was thinking about my mom and sister and praying for their healing, for their lives. Then I thought about my own life. Again, I prayed for His strength to live my life, however long or short, prepared to grab the opportunities He puts before me, trusting Him. Then I believe there are truly no regrets.

7 comments:

Amanda said...

I'm sorry this is an issue in your family. I'm glad you have your dog to walk, though. I will keep your family in my thoughts and hope that everything is alright.

Dardi said...

This is a great post!! Joe & I were just having a similar discussion yesterday: Living outside of this world's "normal", being open to the things God has for us, & not trying to limit what He can do!

We've already seen the "impossible" happen in our family, & we have been blessed by it.

Hoping the best for your mom & sister! Blessings ~ Dardi

The Mathews Family said...

Yes and Amen!

mama becca said...

amen sister.
we love you guys. and i'll be praying, seriously, for your mom and sister. i think you know that my mom beat stage 4 breast cancer. it's a hard road.
this life isn't easy, but blessings abound even in the really hard stuff. you all are a shining light in this world...
love
becca

Robin said...

I lost my mom 4 1/2 years ago to an aggressive strain of Leukemia.....she fought a tough battle, but God ultimately won. Not a day goes by that I don't think about her, miss her, and wonder. It's hard to live life day to day, but when I think of my mom, who was 60 when she died, I'm quickly drawn back to how short life really is.....I'll be praying for your family, and both your mom and your sister.....cancer is a family disease, not an individual disease.

Sarah and Davis said...

Hey guys! So precious to see Lil B finally HOME with you. What a joy!

I recently got a blog award from another blogger and was told to highlight 7 other blogs I liked. I picked yours as one of them! Great work telling your story about making room in your home and hearts for God's precious kids! (:

Sarah

Anonymous said...

Our ministry is involved in supporting orphans in one of the Ukrainian orphanages in Shpola on a constant basis. However, we also need support. Find out how you can help and support the orphans in Ukraine on the link https://hopenowusa.org