Monday, October 20, 2008

Oops

Oops, we have been home as THIS family for 6 months, and I think I just sort of let it pass right on by. I'm pretty sure it was a good day, though. Seriously, we are blessed.

Okay, here is embarrassing....

We decided to use a different home study provider for our post placement reports (long story) and she is great. She came for the 3 month visit and all went smoothly. Well, to save time and money, she came to do our 6 month post placement and our new home study update all in one visit.

It was a VERY hectic day. That morning, I left early for a conference all day (a rare occurrence, but....I need to maintain my social work license), so sweet Farmboy got the kids off to school. Once I got home at 5:30pm, even though I wanted to just get some sort of fast food for the family for dinner, in order to be prudent with our finances as we are on our new adoption journey (plus we ate out a lot in Chicago), I had planned to make something at home, so quickly pulled a dinner together in the kitchen. This was done FAST, and cleaned up in a hurry, as our home study provider was expected at 6:30pm.

She arrives, she is SO nice. We have a nice time in our all-cleaned-up living room, kitchen and family room. Two story houses are nice that way. She shocks me. She wants to see the rest of the house, since she is actually doing a home study update, too, and she wasn't our initial provider, so needs to take a look around. Uh, yeah, I know you are tracking with this. Now I do like a made bed, but remember, I was the first out the door that morning. Nothing was done. Not even in our room. Nothing. I felt like such a slacker.

But really, what does a made bed and picked up room matter? Our home study provider appeared to care less, but this self-professed neat freak felt otherwise. I know, I know, you think I'm exaggerating. I just wish I had pictures to share of Zgirl's and Kume's room (yes, Mom, it looked just like that). Now they are slackers.

9 comments:

Laurel said...

Can't imagine. I would have done the ... "you want to see what???"

Our house is not dirty, but it certainly gets cluttered.


Blessings,

Laurel
mama of 13
http://ajourneyoffaith.net
(my new ministry website)

coffeemom said...

Ah, I so get it! Our house is two stories too and sometimes when folks drop in...well, let's just say they don't get the whole house tour! But don't sweat it; real life baby. It's real life and it shows a LIVED in full house. I betcha she's seen worse, and hey, I think it means the twins are adjusting to normal! That's the story, stick with it! love M

Denise Bryant said...

Oh, I would have wanted to crawl away! We don't make the kids' beds very often around here...

mama becca said...

She didn't care :). I promise :).
I'm sure your house looked way better than mine!!!
Ha!
love you!
becca

Shelly Roberts said...

This cracked me up! I can just imagine your fright. Ha! :) So glad to hear you got the visit done and thrilled with your progress. Love ya!, Shelly

Jen said...

Oh well! Coffeemom said it well....real life. Sometimes it is about survival. When the kids outnumber the adults, that can happen. One morning, years ago, I had the kids on the bus by 7:30, laundry in, beds made, bathrooms clean, and by the time I sat down to eat breakfast, the toaster caught on fire. I had to call the fire dept. The very nice fireman suggested that I clean the toaster. I replied, "Yes, but my beds are made, kids are at school on time, and the laundry is done." He laughed. We will never get it ALL done.

Annie said...

Loved this story....it so would have happened to me!!! I also loved the story that Jen wrote in her comment.

I cleaned and cleaned for my home study; that SW didn't walk around the house. I have a new homestudy agency for my post-placement and again I cleaned away and she just stayed put in the living room. From experience, I would have done the same thing as you...whose social worker ever checks out the whole house? It's humbling, isn't it? ;) thanks for sharing.

Sig said...

Your kids are absolutely gourgeous.

Before my first SW visit, I cleaned till my hands turned raw. She did not care.
By the last visit (same agency to update HS for another adoption) not only didn't I care how my house looked, I invited the agency's director who came for coffee. LOL

Rebecca said...

I died laughing :) That is so something that would happen to me. So sorry it had to happen to you!