Monday, June 09, 2008

Cheyenne the dog - April 28, 2000 - June 9,2008

After a couragous battle with liver disease (and the end coming much more quickly than we expected) . . . we put our sweet, sweet dog Cheyenne to sleep today. She was a very good dog and despite her lack of interest in playing fetch (unless there was peanut butter on the ball) she was just perfect in so many ways.


Just last week, we were enjoying a hike in one of our favorite parks.
She started getting sick a few days later.









I came across this some time ago... I thought it was creative, and true in a ridiculous sort of way.

15 things we can learn from dogs:
1. Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joy ride.
2. Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be pure ecstasy.
3. When loved ones come home, always run to greet them.
4. When it’s in your best interest, practice obedience.
5. Let others know when they’ve invaded your territory.
6. Take naps and stretch before rising.
7. Run, romp, and play daily.
8. Eat with gusto and enthusiasm.
9. Be loyal.
10. If what you want lies buried, dig until you find it.
11. When someone is having a bad day, be silent. Sit close by and nuzzle them gently.
12. Thrive on attention and let people touch you.
13. Avoid biting when a simple growl will do.
14. When you’re happy, dance around and wag your entire body.
15. No matter how often you’re scolded, don’t buy into the guilt thing and pout…. run right back and make friends
16. Delight in the simple joys of a long walk.




Our eldest may have taken it the hardest... He stayed up with her until midnight, then slept with her in the bathroom her last night with us. Ahh, a boy and his dog.



We will miss you, you sweet, lovable old girl.

14 comments:

zach said...

so sad to hear. glad i stopped by. the dog seems like a great one. and the twins are cuter than ever. give chad johnson a fist bump for me. -zach (and becca)

Lori said...

Yes, a boy and his dog. Ted had a similar loss with his dog when he was a boy, still remembers vividly the day he was gone. Thinking of you guys and hoping you and the kids are okay.

Anonymous said...

:)

I am not sure what to say to reach out and tell a family whom has never met me, and yet I've followed your blog since sometime in March, thought I'd 'unlurk' for just a bit here...

I lost my sweet little 12lb terrier; Prince Maxamillian Courderoy the First -AKA Max, [He was such a tiny dog he just had to have a big name] at a much too young age of years old. The last year and a half he and I spent glued to each others side - as he had developed diabetes- and one day when I had gone to the store for his lunch I came back to find him curled up where I had left him but he was gone, so peacefully, in his sleep. Part of me thinks that maybe he was waiting for me to leave as he had seen our entire family the day before.

I cried for that little dog. So hard. I do still. But in that moment I remembered something - that all the times for tears were over, those times were when he was getting shots and glucose checks and pills all day. And I think that they do teach us something, dogs and pets do, about compassion and about, like in the poem you posted - how to live. And the happy memories go on forever and ever.

Cheyenne has that -protective yet not above playful- look to her pictures. What a good girl.

Always,
Debrah in Arizona.

~Laura~ said...

I'm so sorry about your pup. :(

Amber said...

Oh, I'm so sorry about your loss off a family member. Dogs are such a big part of the family.

HollyMarie said...

Sorry to hear about your dog! It's amazing how hard it can be to say goodbye to our furry friends!

coffeemom said...

Oh. I'm so sorry. It's true, a boy and his dog...priceless. But how great to have that bond and those memories too. So sorry for you all to go through this now, and hope you all, and especially your oldest, are doing good. Great dogs are a great gift.

Denise Bryant said...

Oh, I'm sorry about your dog. :( They are part of the family, for sure. Yesterday we had to find one of our dogs a new home so I feel for you ...

PrincessBrideJo said...

Hello! My name is Joanna and I found your site through someone else's. I was drawn by your name as Princess Bride is my FAV movie. Anyways I am soooo sooo sooo sorry to hear about your dog. It is so hard to loose a furry member of the family!

emily said...

Oh, so sad!! We have 3 dogs that we love (most of the time) and our oldest is 11 and definitely on his last days. I know you guys are so sad! Sorry.

Kristy -Mom To 9 Blessings said...

Oh, so so sad....I am sorry for you all. :-(
Love,
Kristy

sdd said...

Just found your blog today--so sorry about your dog! We have a 13-1/2 year old Welsh Corgi and know that we will have to let him go soon. Can't imagine life without him, as he has been such a part of the family. Anyway--am enjoying your blog. We are just starting on our Ethiopian adoption journey this week. (Actually, we've been praying about it for months, but just took the big plunge and sent in the beginning paperwork Monday.) Your family blog picture sure doesn't like Michigan--more like the Tetons in Wyoming--where I am. God bless!
Symona

darci said...

oh, i just found your blog. i'm so sad to hear about your sweet puppy. our kezzi is almost 13 and we don't know how much longer we'll get to have her...so i can relate.
we have three 'homegrown kids' too, waiting on our twins from ethiopia. :) darci

Unknown said...

Just wanted to tell you how sorry I am about your Cheyenne. We lost our 17 year old Quigley in September and then had to put down our 18 year old Beanz July 7. We still have one dog but I NEED another! (more kids, more dogs, its never enough!) Anyhow I wanted to tell you I feel your pain... Good luck with the new one, hope Bo is a great match for you all!
God bless