Monday, January 28, 2008

16.5 weeks and hanging on God's Word

Well, we are at the 16.5 week waiting time (but who's counting). Barf (to quote a fellow blogger)!

I have been wanting to compile the promptings, nudgings and words from God, and doing so while we go through this nerve-wracking wait definitely strengthens my faith. I highly recommend it.

Anyways, here is a compilation of some of God's guiding through this process.

2003

Nudged to bring Mohamed into our home. After he was here, I realized we could love a child that was not biologically ours.

2005

In the refugee camps riding in a HOT jeep in the Sahara Desert, felt God nudge me to open our home to adoption. At that time, the thought was quite unnerving and I had a voiceless argument for several minutes, trying to rationalize my way out of what I thought God just told our family to do. I believe His step 1 of the plan was to pursue bringing Mohamed back for school, since I just so happened to meet Jon about an hour later and he challenged us to look into bringing Mohamed back to our home for a long-term commitment. Jon was the amazing man who spent countless hours traveling and facilitating bringing Mohamed back to the States for us.

2006

Mohamed lives with us, then returns to Algeria and we begin to wonder if we have room for one more.

Dec. 8, 2006 - Farmboy and I go to Carrabba's for dinner and he asks if we are going to adopt. It was kind of an out-of-the-blue question, but another step.

I Cor. 16:8-9 "...because a great door for effective work has opened to me, and there are many who oppose me."

This is a great door, but the enemy hates adoption and plan on him opposing us.

February 2007

Felt I had no "time" to adopt, as I was spending way too much time running and doing aerobics classes to keep in shape. How could I have new kids in the home? Certainly they would interfere with my work out sessions, "my" time. In a matter of 2 weeks time, could not run because our dog hurt her leg (couldn't leave the house running without her, she would just flip out and that would be sooooo mean) and our health club was sold. I believe God orchestrated this to force me to give up exercising (at least the obsessive part of this). This has been incredibly freeing.

March 2007

Zech 7:9-10 "Administer true justice, show mercy and compassion to one another. Do not oppress the widow and fatherless...."

Hebrews 11 - what an amazing chapter on faith, so many verses were confirming and comforting.

II Tim 1:7 "For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline."

GREAT to know since adoption is certainly not for the timid.

March 30, 2007 - Went to our first physical needed for the dossier. Our doctor was not available, so we were scheduled to meet with a doctor that has adopted 5 kids himself. What a coincidence!!!

April 2007

Hebrews 13:2 "Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it."

Hebrews 13:6 says, "The Lord is my helper." I get fearful about bringing these kids, these strangers, into our home. But God calls us not to be fearful and how awesome since He is our helper.

Well, as I was reading through the New Testament, was looking forward to reading James next and focus on giving God control of my tongue. Thought this would be little break from all the scriptures that keep pointing us to adoption. Well, I forgot about James 1:27.
"Religions that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress...."

We had a thyroid/lymph node scare. Healing?

May 2007

Hebrews 11:24-25 - although I knew Moses was adopted, really realized it as I read this passage.

The last part of James 1:27: "...keep oneself from being polluted by the world." Sometimes the adoption "expert advice" can be utterly terrifying. I don't want to be polluted by it, but trust in what God is calling us to do.

III John 5 "Dear friend, you are faithful in what you are doing for the brothers, even though they are strangers to you." Again, as I fear about bringing these "strangers" into our home, God speaks truth.

Well, I finished the New Testament, skipping Revelations for now, and felt led to read the Psalms.

This passage is huge comfort for me:

Psalm 16:5-8 "Lord, you have assigned me my portion and my cup; you have made my lot secure. The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. I will praise the Lord, who counsels me; even at night my heart instructs me. I have set the Lord always before me. Because he is at my right hand, I will not be shaken.

Psalm 35:23b "Contend for me, my God and Lord." He is the one fighting for us!

Psalm 37:7-15 Instead of typing this one all out, in a nut shell, I believe God is reminding us that the enemy is all about trying to thwart our desires to serve God, working overtime to attempt to discourage us and steal our hope, plotting against us. These verses are God's answer to the enemy. God's plans cannot be thwarted. Really, all the enemy can do is discourage us, he does not have the power to change God's sovereign ways.

June 2007

Psalm 48:12-13 "Walk about Zion, go around her, count her towers, consider well her ramparts, view her citadels, that you may tell of them to the next generation."

Basically, I am writing this post because of these verses. I want to look and recognize God's handiwork with our adoption, and share it to our next generation to bring God glory.

July 2007

Psalm 68:5-6 "A father to the fatherless, a defender of widows, is God in his holy dwelling. God sets the lonely in families...."

This is another huge promise to me. How awesome that He is the one setting these kids into our family.

August 2007

Read the book Breathe by Keri Wyatt Kent (which I really recommend, all about making space for God in our hurried world). Anyways, she talked about how fear can lead us to busyness and directed us to read Isaiah 43:5. I caught my breath when I read the whole thing.
"Do not be afraid, for I am with you; I will bring your children from the east and gather you from the west."

September 2007

John 1 - Jesus invited the disciples to follow him, although they did not know where that would take them. Us, too....

Oct/Nov 2007

Worked on the Believing God study by Beth Moore. So many truths, too many to mention, but so powerful.

December 2007

I Thess 5:24 "The one who calls you is faithful and he will do it." We are pursuing adoption because we believe God has called us. How comforting to know he will faithfully be with us throughout the journey.

January 2008
OK, two of my blogging buddies referenced this verse, and I just had to add it it my compilation of the VERY WORDS OF GOD that have given me strength.
"But these things I plan won't happen right away. Slowly, steadily, surely, the time approaches when the vision will be fulfilled. If it seems slow, be patient! For it will surely take place. It will not be late by a single day." Habakkuk 2:3

8 comments:

Shelly Roberts said...

Thank you .... what a blessing to read all that God has taught you and brought you through. Thank you for sharing ... I know it's not always easy. Waiting and praying with you, dear sister!! Blessings, ~Shelly

Keri Wyatt Kent said...

Wow,
What an amazing adventure God is leading you through.
Did you know that "do not be afraid" is the most often repeated command in Scripture.
Yep, you probably already knew that.
Blessings on you!
Keri

~Laura~ said...

Thinking about you and praying for referral comes SOON! Blessings!

Laura

mama becca said...

Very cool post!
Thanks for your comment... and thanks for sharing all of your wisdom (especially the nuggets of scripture God has given you along the way...).
Hang in there!
becca

Kimberly Baggett said...

Sharon,
Wow! Thank you for sharing your heart and your family's journey to your children! It is truly encouraging to read about the obedient steps others take as the Lord leads them! We are in this together! Many blessings!

erika's funny farm said...

Blessings in Christ to you and your family. I came across your blog today. Last night we were blessed with a match to a special needs girl in China. The scriptures you listed are powerful reminders to HIS awesome power, majesty, and perfect timing. Thank you for blessin my day today.
-Erika

Jen said...

I can't tell you how much of this seemed so parallel to me. So much, actually, I printed it out for the scripture readings.

Jen said...

Had to come back to this post to see some of the scripture references. After the update about the TB and every other weeks consulate appts...I could not help but think of what you wrote about the enemy hating adoption and doing whatever he can to oppose it. I had to come back to the post. It gave me a place in the bible to go and pray and not worry about things needlessly and not let him discourage me.