Friday, January 04, 2008

My Utmost For His Highest

OK, I am really behind in the My Utmost book, but I read the entry for Oct. 21 today and love this quote:

"It is ingrained in us that we have to do exceptional things for God -- but we do not. We have to be exceptional in the ordinary things of life, and holy on the ordinary streets, among ordinary people."

This IS the challenge.

So, when I question what big thing I need to be doing for God (as if He needs anything from me), I see God is calling me to be obedient and do everything He puts before me, big or small, in a grateful, peaceful, joyful, exceptional way....such as hanging with the kids, keeping up the house, supporting Farmboy, taking the kids to their various things, and being open to opportunities, conversations He puts before me with the people I come across in these various situations. No, this isn't a new thing I learned, but it is a reminder I need today.

Of course, the Holy Spirit is the key ingredient, the amazing power, to be able to do any of this. I am not foolish enough to think I can muster up exceptionalness on my own.

There, some deep thoughts with Buttercup

No comments: